Services that can be offered:

 Services may include in whole or in parts the following:



-Zoning Review

-Site planning

-Existing Conditions Drawings

-Residential design

-Other building type designs

-Permit and Construction Drawings

-Area certifications

-Cost estimating

-Project Management

-Construction Contract Administration

-Contractor Billing Approvals

-On site Construction reviews

-Contract Bases Work

-Construction of Bunkie’s and Garages

-Barrier Free Lift Design Retrofits


Note there are many comments on the Internet that a BCIN Designer is not the same as an “Architect”. They suggest that a BCIN holder does not carry Liability insurance, has minimal or no formal education, and has not passed or done any exams, and can not provide the same level of service. The later is all not true.


Do you know that Frank Lloyd Wright, one of the greatest American “Architects”, did not have a full formal university degree in architecture to allow architectural certification in some states in the early 20th century?   He attended briefly a meeting with the state of California Architects Association Board, got into an argument with the architectural board about certification and education, signed a blank cheque, placed it on the table, and left the meeting.  He was eventually accepted on experience, merit, and popularity but did not officially meet their standards. This would be impossible with the new age we are in and with political correctness, legal insurance requirements, and so on.


Other notable “architects” that did not have a university degree include: Louis Sullivan (FLW was his apprentice), Mies Van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, and Buckminister Fuller to name a few.


I am not sure about Da Vinci, or Michelangelo, or Vitruvius. I would have to check if there were records on them for that… of course things were way different back at those times in history. But I hope you see my point. No disrespect to licensed Architects or Arch graduates is meant here. By the way a graduate in Architecture at the University is NOT legally an “Architect” yet until they have past all requirements for association and licensing and carry Insurance.


To be legally titled as an “Architect” in Ontario you must have a University degree in Architecture (now a days a Masters Degree vs previously just a Bachelors Degree), be a licensed member of the OAA (Ontario Association of Architects), must have taken OAA licensing exams and passed such qualifications, and if providing services to the public must have liability and E/O insurance, and stamp, as an Architect.


However an Architect may or may not know all of the Building Codes and has not necessarily passed any code courses administered by the Province of Ontario’s MMAH. 


Please note a person that has a BCIN has to carry liability insurance, has passed numerous certified Province of Ontario code courses, typically is a member of a Technologists Association (such as the AATO) that also requires exams to be passed to be a certified member of that Association, and typically has graduated in a 3 year to 5 year FULL TIME program at a certified community College. Plus most of these persons would have many years of experience in the design and/or the construction industry, and spent many years drawing on the boards/computer under an  “Architect”. Many of these people may have not been able to attend University because of socio-economical family situations and stigmas, and went to an education route where they felt more accepted and comfortable and felt able to afford long term.


Of course not every architect, or even BCIN designer, or Technologists is created equal within their own groups.


Many BCIN holders/Architectural Technologists will provide similar services to an “Architect” and are legally qualified to do so within Ministry mandated size limits. The Ontario Association of Architects even actually recognizes Technologists within their association if we wish to join them and pay their fees in addition to the fees we already pay as Technologists and BCIN holders, and again take more exams that we already have taken for our school, association, and BCIN licensing.


Many architects’ offices depend on their Technologists as staff. If you hire an “Architect” the reality is you may end up getting that technologists on their staff really doing your project, and the “Architect” will be the main face/voice of the services you get (and collector of the fees).


So a client needs to know what level of services and fees they want to pay for and decide for them selves if the fees are valid.